WICD - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

City Mgr. Upholds Chief's Findings in Dog Shooting

CHAMPAIGN-- Tonight the Saathoff family continues to seek answers  from the City of Champaign and its' police department.

It was in November 2012, when Champaign Police were called to break up a fight between two dogs.

That's when Officer Andre Davis arrived, and ended up shooting both dogs, killing the Saathoff family's chocolate lab.

Several months ago, Police Chief Anthony Cobb conducted an internal investigation, and found that Officer Davis used his weapon within policy.

Shortly after, the family requested that City Manager Steve Carter review the chief's findings.

The newest update now, Carter is upholding the chief's decision.

In a letter we obtained through a FOIA request, Carter goes on to say,

"While acknowledging that the officer could have used better judgement in using his weapon to deal with a dangerous animal, it was within the departmental policy."

Since the incident, the department's policy has been revised, and they're now providing training for all officers handling such calls for service.

However, the family says they're still not satisfied with these findings, and will go to any means necessary to seek justice for their dog.

Carter's letter goes on to say that Chief Cobb believes Officer Davis' performance has been good over the course of his career, and Carter believes the chief has handled this appropriately.

Emails were also exchanged between the Champaign County State's Attorney and Kathy Saathoff, and she shared those with us tonight.

Julia Rietz writes, "While her office has reviewed the reports and applicable law, we have determined that the officer did not violate any criminal statues."

She adds, "I would advise that you pursue civil remedies with the City of Champaign."

The family is currently looking at every option, but they say they will file a lawsuit if they have to.

Saathoff says, the city is still waiting for them to put a price on their dog's life, as restitution pay.

Last time we spoke with the city's risk manager, he confirmed talks of a settlement were made, but no dollar amount had been decided.

ABC Newschannel 15's Marine Glisovic reports.