In the Kitchen: Candy Cane Scrubs and Cocktails
Candy Cane Sugar Scrub
- 1 1/2-2 cups sugar
- 1/2-1 cup coconut oil
- 4-6 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 tsp vitamin e oil
- 1-3 drops red food coloring or soap colorant
- Melt coconut oil in microwave for 30 seconds or until it becomes liquid.
- Mix in essential oil and vitamin e.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Divide scrub in half and use food coloring in one batch.
- Fill mason jar by alternating red and white scrub.
- Store in airtight container.
When making sugar scrub I recommend starting with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and adding 1/2 cup until you reach the consistency you enjoy the best. I prefer a coarser scrub with not as much oil so 2 1/2 cups of sugar is perfect for me.
Add drops of the peppermint essential oil until desired scent is achieved. I use about 5 drops but you can use a few more if you prefer a stronger scent.
Candy Cane Vodka
makes 3 cups
- 12 full-sized candy canes
- 1 750 ml bottle vodka
Using a food processor or coffee grinder, pulse candy canes to fine powder. Using funnel or a sheet of parchment paper, pour candy cane powder into jar of vodka. Screw on lid and shake to mix. Let vodka sit, shaking occasionally, until candy dissolves and vodka turns red, about 30 minutes. If they’re are bits of candy cane remaining, strain with a fine mesh strainer and return to the jar. Keep vodka sealed & refrigerated. Should last up to a month.
Wednesday, April 23 2014, 11:23 AM CDT